Sunday, 22 November 2009

The Myth of the statue-girl and the man

I once found a statue that seemed to contain light,
Encased she was like winter, and her skin was marble bright.
Her hair was life entrapped; a storm cloud cast in stone
Her smile was such to rival all the goddesses of Rome,
though she was lifeless I loved her like lightening that quick'd my blood.
And when I spoke I thrilled to hear my voice echo back again.

Through Winters change to Spring I visited her all night and all day long
And like one that’s caught in Medusa’s glass transfixed upon my song.
I thought like Midas I should reverse the spell that held my heart
To make of her one like my own, with her own life to start.

I gazed at her as passing time unravelled flowers fresh
All colours and senses I could feel and wished she would awake,
And holding her unmoving frame I loved her more and more,
Like Echo’s love increasing to the one who could not love, I wanted her
Limbs moving against my beating, growing flesh.

But like a painting she stands still, and smiles to other worlds
with eyes of distant love, her maker must have been
Enraptured, framing symmetries with flag unfurled.

My love was such that moved the sky, and parted rain clouds wide
Above the sea they crowd to glimpse this love before they hide.

And such a love as mine that grew inside and shook my bones
With trembling hands I traced new patterns on the lifeless stone

Like a Magus or magician I breathed upon her face
Like fire and smoke, she did awake as one from out a daze
The marble turned at once to skin and she blinked like summer rain
Her lips took breath, her tresses moved and my body she embraced.

She spoke and told me all her dreams she dreamt the thousand years
She had been sleeping all this time, till I had broke’ the spell. Her eyes
Were full of sunlight then and she laughed and spoke some more
She whispered I resembled one she had often seen in dreams
And this new feeling she had not experienced before.


I held her hand and guided her to the forests emerald green.
And could not speak, so stunned was I with her new sudden life
Her movements and her voice were all I heard and uttered not
A word, I felt she drank my spirit now and then my limbs felt weak
And my life was ebbing from my bones, my manhood did she take.

It seemed love was a cup of wine that was lessening by her
Thirst, as once I had drunk alone upon that vine its grapes to burst
Upon my palate, when the cup was full it tasted so much sweeter
Than when the object of my love began to drink it first.

So then, my readers, do not blame me for being what I am
I had to leave my girl behind, I am merely a man
Who felt the fire of love only when she was made of stone
And did not know how to behave when she was flesh and bone.

No comments: